Sunday, January 5, 2014

Captivating

Wow it has been a long time since I've posted on this blog! Much has happened since then, but I haven't felt very inspired to write about it. I've been struggling to figure out the direction I want to take this blog. I feel very inadequate to be blogging about spiritual things. I feel like most of the time I am so absorbed with life that I rarely take time to sit and ponder the things of God. I don't want this blog to be full of fluff and plastic talk but real and from the heart.
Last night I was reading a post from Desiring God's blog on worshiping God in Spirit and in Truth and what that looks like. One sentence in the post captured my attention. "At bottom, it’s not what we do (or don’t do) with our hands (or what someone else is doing or not doing), but what we do with our hearts and minds — because the one who has captured our hearts and minds. Worship is in spirit and in truth." To be quite honest, it isn't God who captivates my heart and mind but rather myself. I am captivated by being fit, striving to cook or bake food others will ooh and ahh over, and making crafts that are Pinterest worthy. I want people to be captivated with me and all the wonderful things I can do. Trying to be captivating to myself and others is exhausting and unsatisfying quite frankly. For one, I am rather disappointing. I can never get my crafts to look as awesome as the ones I see on Pinterest. My body will probably never look like a Fitness magazine model, and I rarely make food that causes anyone to have a foodgasm!

Today in my Bible reading I came across these verses in Psalm 4:6-7 "There are many who say, "Who will show us some good? Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!" You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound." These people who wanted God to show them good, weren't interested in Him being their good, but rather the things of the world(abundance and prosperity). Like me, they were so captivated by the world that the only time they sought the Lord was to ask him for more stuff or make them more prosperous. I don't know about you, but I would rather say with David that God himself is my greatest joy, not the world. I am not captivating, and honestly, neither are you! We can never satisfy ourselves with ourselves. Only God can give us joy that is eternal and greater than any temporal happiness we experience here on earth.

These verses inspired me to start blogging my way through my devotions. I want to become more captivated by God and his beauty and experience the joy David was talking about in Psalm 4. So I guess the direction I am wanting to take this blog is use it to encourage myself and others to become captivated by our great and glorious God.

I am currently reading my way through the Book-at-a -Time Bible Reading Plan found at  www.discipleshipjournal.com if you would like to read along with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment