Sunday, April 14, 2013

Everyday a Celebration


"This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it." Do you remember singing this song as a kid? I know I do. It's one of the first songs I sang to my girls when they were little. I've sung this song either out loud or in my head a thousand times or more, but until recently, I never really thought about what the words meant. The words come from the Bible in Psalm 118:24. This verse isn't a suggestion or a rosy contemplation but a command. Each day we have been given by God is a gift, something to be glad about.
 I tend to be a very negative, glass half empty kind of a person. I don't like discomfort, boredom, or bad weather. I like things to go MY way. Obviously this is completely unrealistic, but it doesn't stop me from grumbling anyways. I came across Psalm 118:24 in a devotional I've been reading, and the message spoke directly to my negative Nancy heart. The devotional is written as God speaking to you. Telling you what He is trying say to us through scripture. "Begin the day with open hands of faith, ready to receive all that I am pouring into this brief portion of your life. Be careful not to complain about anything, even the weather, since I am the Author of your circumstances.The best way to handle unwanted situations is to thank me for them." (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young, pg.106) A light bulb went on in my heart when I read those words. Here I saw every unwanted situation as an excuse to grumble when, ironically, it was the exact time to be thankful! The devotion went on to say that when we receive each day in faith in God's control of it, then and only then will we see the good He will bring from it. This news rocked my world! How many good things have I been missing all these years by following my natural tendency to complain? When I love and trust Jesus, each day truly is a gift. It may not be the good that I want, like sunshine and roses, but it will be good. God is more interested in my heart fully belonging to Him than He is in whether I get to play outside in the sunshine. So if he has to use some gray skies to get me there, He'll do it. He has an eternity of sunshine waiting for me on the other side of this life. If I know an eternity of blissful joy in the presence of Jesus awaits me, I have reason to rejoice every day, even in the worst of circumstances.
Take time today to join me in meditating on how good God is and all the things He has given us to be thankful for today. If you don't yet know our awesome Lord, I encourage you to find a Bible and read the book of John or even the Psalms. I would love to tell you more about Him to if you are interested. 
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment