Saturday, November 24, 2012

The promises of God

I recently watched a very encouraging video on the Desiring God blog (Krista Horning's Testimony) in which the speaker spoke from a list of verses she had memorized to remind her of the truth of what God has promised us. Krista was born with a disability and has wrestled with accepting it her whole life. Her parents and pastor encouraged her at a young age to dig deep into the word to see what God had to tell her about her disability. I don't have the disability that she does but sometimes my anxiety can feel disabling. It is so easy to get caught up in the lies my mind tells me that I often forget the truth of God's word. Inspired by Krista's testimony, I decided to make my own list of God's promises to go to when I feel discouraged and afraid.

God tells me in His word.....
1.He is in control of everything, including my health and well-being. (Ex. 4:11)
2. He hasn't given me a spirit of fear but of power, love, and self-control (IITim. 1:7)
3. I can have confidence in Him because He is faithful. (IITim 1:12)
4. No evil will befall me. Psalm 91:9-10
5. I am not alone (Is. 43:1-3).
6. His grace is enough (IICor. 12:9-10)
7. He tells me I have hope. Romans 5:3-4
8. He is a better possesion than anything I could have on earth (Heb. 10:34)
9. I am to walk by faith and not by sigth (or emotions). 2Cor. 5:7
10. God can give me more real, reliable, and wonderful things than what I can see with my eyes. Heb. 11:1
11. God's promises are more trustworthy than my natural perceptions Prov. 3:5-6
12. I have been given everything I need to live a godly life (2Peter 1:3-5).
13. The greatness of His power toward me cannot be measured. (Eph. 1:18-19)
14. The life to come will be far better than even the best day here on earth. (Phil. 1:21-23, Psalm 84:10)
15. He is my confidence. Prov. 3:25-26
16. I can face anything because He is with me. (Psalm 18:28-32)
17. Affliction is necessary to help me see Him more clearly and to learn his ways. (Psalm 119:67, 71-72)
18. I can get through any situation because He will give me His strength. (Phil. 4:11-13)
19. I have nothing to fret about because I have been spared from the day of His wrath (Psalm 37:7-8)
20. Hardships on earth prepare me for the uncomparable glory that awaits me when I see Jesus face to face. 2Cor. 4:17

I hope that you are encouraged by my list to search out God's word yourself for his great and precious promises that will carry you through all of life's trials. I pray that you will remind yourself daily of His truth so that you can stand against the lies of your mind and the schemes of the devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment