Sunday, August 5, 2012

Feeling a Little Bored

    I need a project. One of the reasons I started this blog is because I needed something to do. I feel like I’m going through a dry spell. I don’t feel like reading. I don’t feel like sewing. I don’t really know what I feel like doing. Quite frankly, I’m bored. I read a quote recently that said You'll find boredom where there is the absence of a good idea.” I guess you could say I’m fresh out of good ideas. I hate feeling bored because it makes me feel like I’m just existing.  I don’t want to just exist. I want my life to have purpose. I want to be productive.

    I was reading an article the other day in Voice of the Martyrs magazine. It was a story about a man in Laos who spent 10 years in prison for sharing the gospel. He had no cell mates, nothing to read, nothing to do but sit in his prison and exist. I think of that story and I wonder how he got through it without going nuts. Granted he gained a deeper love for Christ and has a far better perspective on eternity than I do. Still, I can’t fathom going that long without anything to do.

    I’m discovering as I write this that I think I idolize activity. I need busyness to feel secure. I don’t know how to be still. Ecclesiasties tells us there is a time for everything. Apparently, it’s my time to be bored. God must have something to teach me right now. Perhaps He has a fresh idea He can only show me during this time of quiet. Whatever the purpose, I know it can be a time of prayer and Bible study. This just doesn’t sound very exciting to me. But I know it’s what I need. I know that man in Laos wished he had had a Bible to study while in prison. I am grateful I have the freedom to do that.

   I know my boredom is temporary. Like everything else, this too shall pass. It is somehow producing in me an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison. One day, when I see Jesus face to face, I will never be bored again. I will spend an eternity enjoying Him and discovering more and more of His beauty. Help me Lord to see your beauty in this time of boredom. Help me to keep my eyes on you.

   What about you? How do you get through times of boredom?

No comments:

Post a Comment