Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Love your Neighbor

  

   I learned a few lessons today on how little compassion I have for the lost. I took the girls to the wading pool today, and we encountered a few children who tried our patience. One girl in particular chose to single my girls out as objects of her superiority complex. Although my girls had done nothing to her, she called them names, hit them, splashed them, and stuck her tongue out at them. I decided then and there it was time to leave before I did something to that girl that would get me in big trouble.

    As I fretted and fumed all the way to the car, I realized that I had no compassion on her soul. To be honest, I would have preferred that God send her to hell than save her.God then gently reminded me that I am just as deserving of hell as she is. Before Christ came and rescued me from the pit of darkness, I too was on the path to hell. It is only by God’s grace that I don’t treat people the same way that little girl was treating my children. My thoughts toward that little girl were just as wicked as her actions were.

    I was also reminded of the fact that Jesus was mistreated too. People beat Him, mocked Him, and killed Him. But instead of reviling, He prayed “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they are doing.” He commands us to do the same. Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

    So with a humbled heart, I asked for God’s forgiveness for my own sin. I then asked that He would have mercy on that little girl and her family so that by His grace, they would want to live a life that is pleasing to Him.

    Lord, help me to see people the way you do. Help me to have compassion on the lost, and desire their salvation, rather than their destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment