Friday, July 20, 2012

Lessons Learned from an Exercise Video

  

I love exercise videos. In fact, I’m kind of addicted to them. I wake up thinking about which one I want to do that day. Our library has an ample supply of them and I check my favorites out regularly.

    This morning I ran into a problem. I couldn’t make up my mind which video to do! What a conundrum! I am so pathetic that I did eeny, meeny, miney, mo to determine which one to do. Even then I wasn’t sure I wanted to do the one chosen. That’s when it hit me. What difference does it make! God then brought some verses to my mind, “So if you have been raised with the Messiah, seek what is above, where the Messiah is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on what is above, not on what is on the earth. 3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with the Messiah in God. Colossians 3:1-3  What matters in life is what is eternal. Although exercise is important, the method I choose is of no eternal value. When I stand before God on the day of judgment, He isn’t going to ask why I chose to do The Firm instead of the Kathy Smith video.

   I don’t know about you but I am constantly stressing myself out over trivial matters. Should I wear the dress or the brown top and skirt? What book should I read next ? What should I make for dinner tonight? Should I go to the meeting tonight or skip it? I agonize and agonize over these decisions like the world might stop turning if I make the wrong one. But what I think God was reminding me of this morning was that what matters is His kingdom and His promises toward me in His word. If I choose the dress over the skirt, His love for me won’t change. If I choose to read book A over book B and I’m disappointed, He will still have a place for me in Heaven with Him.

    This reminds me of another verse. 2 Corinthians 12:9 But He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power[a] is perfected in weakness.” Therefore, I will most gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may reside in me.”  Even if the decisions we make, big or little, don’t turn out as we hoped or they appear to be mistakes, we can still rest assured that God will grant us the grace to get through it. He will bring good out of every situation, if we are abiding in Him.

    With this revelation in mind, I chose a video, did the workout, and enjoyed every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment